About Juniper Zen, CPDT-KA:
Ruff Translation is owned by Juniper Zen. I am a Certified Professional Dog Trainer-Knowledge Assessed (CPDT-KA) and a graduate of the Canine Behavior Academy, formerly hosted at the Marin Humane Society (2008). I am a member of the Association of Professional Dog Trainers (APDT) and Pet Professional Guild. I also continue my education with regular seminars, webinars, books/videos, and networking with fellow dog professionals.
During the past 10+ years, I have worked with dogs in a wide variety of contexts, including shelter work, dog daycare and boarding facilities, teaching group classes, private lessons, and competing in sports. I specialize in setting a good foundation for puppies and resolving handling/grooming issues. I also have a soft spot for dogs that are high energy and too smart for their own good!
I use positive, force-free methods, particularly clicker-training. I have found this to be the best way to communicate with and teach our dogs for long-term success. It is effective for everything from basic manners to fear/aggression issues.
I am a certified instructor and judge for the sport of rally-free. My current dogs are Chimera, a Papillon competing in agility, fast cat, rally-free, and musical freestyle, and Terra, an Irish Wolfhound puppy in basic training.
Unrelated to dogs, I have a BA in Linguistics from UC Berkeley (2008). I am passionate about homesteading, self-sufficiency, and green living. All Ruff Translation handouts other paperwork are printed on 100% recycled paper.
Due to the nature of working with animals, people, and the inherent unpredictability of life, it is impossible for me to guarantee a specific training outcome (ie, "your dog will be able to heel past any temptation," "your dog will never snap at another dog"). Training is always a long-term project, and its success depends on the dedication of everyone living with and interacting with the dog, along with the influence of genetics and environmental factors. What I can guarantee is the following:
- I will always provide a safe environment for your dog.
- I will never intentionally do anything that creates fear or pain for your dog.
- I will participate in ongoing education so that I am able to give advice that is up-to-date with current understanding of dog behavior and training.
- I will provide individualized training that takes into account your needs and goals, and your dog's temperament and abilities.
- I will be upfront about what it will take to reach your goals for your dog.
- I will be available to provide email and phone support for the lifetime of your dog after completion of a training package. If I am able to answer your questions and solve the issue without requiring additional training lessons, I will do so without upselling you.