The perfect option for owners who want to be hands-on with their dog's training. Forget the struggle and learn how to work WITH your dog. Lessons are individualized and take place in your home, so you can fix problems where they actually happen. We can also meet in public for socialization work and advanced training.
How It Works
- Private lessons always start with a 75 minute Assessment, in your home or at the farm in Winters. It allows me to get to know you and your dog, and put together an individualized training plan. You'll receive plenty of information and start on the first steps of training.
- Some behavioral issues only require this one meeting. For example, a potty-training plan can be drawn up quickly, and then it's up to the family members to implement it. For most issues, however, continued training guidance is necessary.
- All training plans are fine-tuned to your needs, but are based off the packages below.
- Lessons last 75 minutes each and are usually scheduled weekly.
- Homework exercises with clear directions are emailed to you after each lesson, and help is available throughout the week. This allows you to make continual progress towards your goals with ongoing support.
- All packages include lifetime support via e-mail or phone.
Puppy Foundation Package (6 lessons)
Appropriate for: most puppy owners. Teach your puppy all the foundation he'll need to grow into a well-behaved dog. Don't delay until he's already learned bad habits! Training can start as soon as you bring your pup home. ($600)
Skills Taught: sit, down, stay, go to bed, come, leave it, drop it, leash walking, wait at door, being calm for handling and grooming, not jumping, not biting, potty training, crate training
Puppy Plus Package (10 lessons)
Appropriate for: 1) Owners who want their puppy to become a service dog, therapy dog, or performance dog; 2) Owners who plan to do frequent traveling with their dog; 3) Puppies who are already exhibiting shyness or anxiety in new situations. This package includes extra guidance on proper socialization to new people, places, noises, etc. We will meet at carefully chosen public locations for some of the lessons. ($950)
Skills Taught: sit, down, stay, go to bed, come, leave it, drop it, leash walking, wait at door, being calm for handling and grooming, not jumping, not biting, potty training, crate training, manners in public, appropriate greetings with new people and dogs
Adult Foundation Package (4 lessons)
Appropriate for: 1) Owners with recently adopted adult dogs (over 6 months old); 2) Adult dogs who need brushing up on obedience or manners. Discourage unwanted behaviors and teach ones we like better - sitting instead of jumping, walking calmly instead of pulling, lying on a mat instead of getting underfoot in the kitchen, and more. ($400)
Skills Taught: sit, down, stay, go to bed, come, leave it, drop it, leash walking, wait at door
Leash Reactivity Package (5 lessons)
Appropriate for: dogs who bark, growl, or lunge when they pass people or other dogs on leash. We arrange controlled "set ups" so that your dog can learn to be calm around the people/dogs that currently set him off. We then practice in "real world" situations in public. ($500)
Skills Taught: calm leash walking, "Look At That" or "Engage/Disengage" game, BAT, de-stressing games
Handling & Grooming Package (5 lessons)
Appropriate for: dogs who run away, growl, or bite when being handled by their owner, veterinarian, or groomer. Take away the stress and build your dog's trust so that you can properly care for him. ($500)
Skills Taught: varies depending on specifics
Don't see a package that fits your needs exactly? Is your problem aggression, separation anxiety, fighting between dogs in the house, food guarding, or anything else? I will put together a customized package at the Assessment.